Columbus Tailors - Stimson Tailors
Stimson Tailors was founded by Stephen W. Stimson, who was born in Vermont in 1825. The only one of his nine siblings to enter the retail market, Stephen moved his family to Columbus and began working at Ohio Merchant Tailors in 1871, eventually establishing his own tailoring business in 1877. Stimson married Margaret Humphrey on June 5, 1853 and the couple had 6 children, two of which would join the S.W. Stimson & Sons business located at 123 S High St. William S., born on March 3, 1854, and his brother Charles H., born Jan. 24, 1855, took over their father's business after his death in 1898. William was listed as a tailor in the 1880, 1900, 1910, and 1920 censuses, and Charles H. was also listed in 1880, 1900, and 1910. The son of Charles H. Stimson, Charles L., who lived from 1878 to 1957, also joined in the family business, being listed as a tailor in 1900 and a merchant in 1910, before moving out to California before 1920 to work as a real estate salesman. Charles H. died sometime between 1910 and 1920, leaving William as the last Stimson family member in the business.
Starting in the early 1920s, a young tailor named Samuel Jackson began working for S.W. Stimson & Sons. Upon William Stimson's death in 1928, Jackson took over the business and incorporated it into his own tailoring company S.S. Jackson, Inc.